Who doesn't love the feeling after getting their carpet cleaned professionally? The carpet looks almost new and it smells and feels good. Most people try to keep it this way but its a huge challenge. One of the biggest concerns for homeowners that get their carpets cleaned is preventing those ugly traffic wear patterns from returning after a cleaning. The solution is both simple yet complicated.
So, what causes ugly traffic wear patterns anyway? To be put simply, dirt but its also so much more than that. Most carpets in homes today are made from synthetic fibers. Nylon, polypropylene (olefin), and polyester are the materials that carpets are made of. There are pros and cons for these materials as carpet fibers but one thing they have in common is that they're plastic.
Dirt and Plastic Don't Mix Well
When you look at dirt under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass. Since plastics are smooth and easily scratched, the combination of "broken glass" and any type of friction can cause damage. A good example of this is a plastic toy at the beach at the beginning of the summer versus the end of the summer. That toy is going to have many tiny scratches from the grains of sand which causes it to look dull and kind of old. What's happening to that toy on the beach is happening every day to your carpet. The dirt from your feet scratches at your carpet as you walk. Repeating that process in particular spots regularly causes those traffic wear patterns we hate. Unfortunately, no amount of cleaning will restore the damaged fibers. However, professional carpet cleaning can improve the appearance and help prevent further damage. This is where the simple yet complicated solution comes in. The easy part: maintenance of the carpet (keeping the dust and dirt off). The hard part: how to do that. The answer to this requires a commitment from you and everyone in your household.
The Solution (In 6 Steps)
1. In reality, it would take about 27 steps to get all the dirt off your shoes. This would require a 100 ft runner which of course is not practical at all. Let's just stick with a mat or a small runner but this isn't enough.
2. Removing your shoes before entering your house. Its a little inconvenient at first but it will become second nature in no time. The most important part to this step is making sure you put your shoes back on whenever you go back outside. Going out in bare feet will just bring the dirt that you don't want into your house.
3. Traffic wear patterns are the worst in the areas that transition from carpet to a hard surface. The hard surface won't hold the dirt like carpet will. Keeping those hard surfaces clean will prevent transferring dirt to the carpet.
4. Vacuuming frequently is the most important part of preventing traffic wear. Vacuuming alone removes more than half the dirt in your carpet. If you vacuum every week, it will extend the life of your carpet. It will also improve the air quality in your home which means a healthier environment for you and your household.
5. Carpet cleaning removes the rest of the dirt. If you implement the rest of the steps and stick to them, the carpet cleaning is even more effective.
6. Get carpet protector applied after a carpet cleaning. This will protect the fibers from further damage and it also prevents spills from staining!
If you follow these 6 steps, it can save you money, keep your home looking beautiful, and create a healthier indoor environment. Keeping your carpet and hard surfaces clean will extend their life which means there would be no need to replace them. By maintaining instead of replacing, you can save thousands of dollars over the life of your home (which is something every homeowner wants to hear). Having a good maintenance plan for anything will cut costs, reduce waste, and save you time in the long run. Anytime is the perfect time to start and Mae's Carpet Cleaning can help you! Call us at 704-904-2964 or make an online appointment NOW!